Natural Sleeping Methods for Insomnia
Sleeping Methods, Health and Well Being
Effective sleeping methods are vital for our minds and bodies to function normally.
Getting good sleep is critical in order for us to lead healthy and well-balanced lives.
Sleepless nights can not only make you moody and tired. Not enough sleep can also impact your memory, sex drive, weight and looks!
What are the side effects of a lack of Sleep?
Sleep plays a critical role in thinking, lifelong learning and self development. Lack of sleep can harm our cognitive processes and reduce attention, alertness and concentration during the day.
Also, whilst in a deep sleep our learning and memories are stored in our mind for future use. So, if you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t be able to remember what you learned and experienced during the day.
Studies show that sleep loss and poor-quality sleep can lead to car accidents and injuries at work. Sleep specialists say that a lack of sleep contributes to reduced libido and interest in sex.
Severe lack of sleep can also put you at risk of more serious health matters such as heart disease and high blood pressure, insomnia and depression.
Sleeping Methods that don’t Work
We all know from personal experience that too much coffee during the day can stop us from sleeping, but tea, chocolate, fizzy drinks, energy drinks and some dietary supplements also contain caffeine that keeps us awake at night.
Many people think that an alcoholic drink before bed will help them sleep. While it may make you fall asleep faster, alcohol actually reduces sleep quality and can wake you up during the night.
Cigarettes contain nicotine which is a stimulant. Smokers will experience nicotine withdrawal as the night progresses, making it hard to sleep.
Eating before sleeping means the metabolism does not slow down which can impact sleep and some foods can even make falling asleep difficult, including cheeses, salami and even potatoes!
Worry, stress and sleeplessness can be a vicious circle. A racing mind makes falling asleep and staying asleep impossible.
Key Sleeping Methods
The key to better sleep is to experiment and find out what works for you. You can try these sleeping methods:
- Keep a regular sleep schedule because going to bed and getting up at the same time each day is proven to help you you feel much more refreshed and energized than varying sleep patterns.
- Try to create a relaxing environment in your bedroom or where you sleep. Don’t fill your sleeping space with clutter. Think of your bedroom as your sanctuary and have soft not harsh lighting and keep it cool.
- Dehydration can stop you stop you sleeping so keep hydrated during the day so you don’t wake up during the night.
- Reduce stress and worry by writing down any worries that keep you awake and try to address them by talking to someone who can help. Listening to a hypnotherapy recording before sleep can help ease tension and calm a racing mind.
“In its early stages, insomnia is almost an oasis in which those who have to think or suffer darkly take refuge.” Colette
- If you work hard too close to bedtime, your brain will be over active just when it needs to slowdown. Don’t use the computer or mobile phones or watch TV before going to sleep; these gadgets actually stimulate the mind, rather than relaxing it.
- Instead, try listening to music or audio books instead, or practicing relaxation exercises. Spend quiet time with yourself more often; try a relaxing bath with candles and gentle music now and again.
- Exercise and a healthy diet are important for our sleep so try to make positive changes in both and notice how much better you sleep and feel.
- Cut down on caffeine, quit smoking and avoid alcohol before bed.
How you feel during your waking hours depends on how well you sleep at night.
The solution to bad sleep can often be found in your daily routine. By improving your sleep schedule, bedtime habits, and lifestyle choices, you can make an enormous difference to the quality of your sleep.
So try out ways of improving your sleep so you can be mentally alert, emotionally balanced, and full of energy all day long!